What is the impact of Nucleo for children with ADD and ADHD?
Based on the available research with regards to the use of nutritional supplements in people living with ADD and ADHD the following reasons can be listed supporting the use of Nucleo®:
1. Low GI: People with ADD/ADHD react well to meals that have a low GI and GL – Nucleo® has the same GI as kidney beans and can be taken as one of the 5 meals in a person’s daily diet.
2. Deficiencies in vitamins and minerals have been listed in scientific literature as possible causes for hyperactivity. Nucleo® addresses this by containing most vitamins and minerals but with increased absorption due to the food medium that it is found in.
3. The benefit of essential fatty acids for ADD/ADHD are well researched. Nucleo® contains omega-3 fatty acids from a fish source but due to micro-encapsulation technology the taste of the fish is not a problem.
4. Iron deficiency may be a cause for ADHD. Nucleo® contains iron.
5. Some research has shown that magnesium levels are low in people with ADHD. Nucleo® contains magnesium that is bound to amino acids for increased absorption.
6. Zinc deficiency may have a role to play in ADHD and is especially important for essential fatty acid levels. Nucleo® contains zinc.
7. Amino acids: ADHD can be directly caused by a dietary deficiency of essential and non-essential amino acids. Nucleo® contains 4 amino acids in high dosages.
8. Phospholipids: ADHD, dyspraxia, dyslexia and autism are regarded by some scientists as ‘phospholipid disorders’ due to the fact that phospholipids are important for brain cell function and structure. Nucleo® contains lecithin which provides some phospholipids to the user.
9. Nucleo® contains a high dose of spirulina which is a source of B vitamins, magnesium, iron, calcium and protein. Research regarding spirulina and it use in ADHD has found that it may be beneficial due to its ability to remove alluminium, carbon tetrachloride and other toxins from the human body. In one study children who took 1 gram of spirulina per day for 6 months experienced an improvement in academic scores of 81%.
It is very important to note that the treatment of an individual with ADD and ADHD is of a specialist nature and that a holistic approach is absolutely essential to ensure success. This includes taking supplements under the auspice of a health professional, enough exercise, analysis by a dietitian and appropriate therapy from allied health professionals like occupational therapists.